Call for a Free Consultation 866-4-YARI-LAW (866-492-7452)


What To Do If Your Atlanta Car Accident Police Report Is Wrong

Posted by Yari Lawson | Jul 21, 2022 | 0 Comments

After a car accident, the police report will largely dictate the amount of compensation you receive and your insurance claim. Since it has such a huge impact, you must ensure it is hundred percent accurate. There are two types of police reports after an accident. The first report is the official report, and the second is the unofficial one. 

Official and Unofficial Police Reports 

The official report includes the recorded statements and details that police officers will collect as soon as they arrive at the accident scene. On the other hand, an unofficial report involves one or more parties involved in an accident. To avoid unwanted circumstances from a falsified official report, it is best to create an unofficial police report at the scene. Other reasons police officers are dispatching include accidents blocking traffic or disruptive participants. 

Car Accidents with Injuries

If you have suffered an injury from a car accident, make sure you call 911. If there is a need for medical assistance, the police contacts emergency healthcare assistance. Once they do that, they ensure the participants are out of danger. After they have completed these tasks, they move over to the process of accessing the accident scene. 

Police officers have training in accessing auto accidents. Officers quickly establish the sight of an accident and investigate the causes. Police do not usually make official accident reports at the sight of an accident. Instead, they roughly note it down on a worksheet and then write the official report based on it. 

Atlanta Police Report Is Wrong, What do you do? 

If you have been involved in a car accident in Atlanta, and the police report collected has wrong information, then you must contact an attorney. A false police report can also put you at fault and rid you of the opportunity to get compensation. 

However, you need to note that a police report is not the only source of information dictating the result of the case. It is best to contact a personal injury attorney so that they can advise you on what to do. 

The lawyer will conduct an independent investigation and the facts of that investigation will prove what happened and establish the police report was wrong. There are other options as well. Your attorney can contact the police department and request to speak with the report's officer who added the false information. 

Final Thoughts

The Lawson Law Firm is a personal injury law firm located in Lawrenceville, Georgia. We work hard to give our clients get the best representation possible. We are committed to getting the best results for your injury case. Call us for a free consultation, whether or not personal injury matter happened in Gwinnett County.

About the Author

Yari Lawson

Yari D. Lawson is a native of Eatonton, Georgia . He is a graduate of Morehouse College in Atlanta , GA. Yari received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, School of Law.  Yari focuses his practice primarily on personal injury. Before going into private practice, Y...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact us Today

Lawson Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about Automobile Accidents, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death, Dog Bites and Premises Liability law issues in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

We offer a free consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Lawson Law, P.C.
1755 North Brown Road, Suite 200
Lawrenceville, GA 30043