A brain injury can cause debilitating and devastating impairments to victims in Lawrenceville, GA. Even if you do not sustain a permanent disability from a traumatic brain injury (TBI), it could take months or years to recover fully.
Brain trauma can also result in significant financial losses. If you sustained a brain injury, you need an experienced attorney on your side to fight for compensation for all damages.
Our Lawrenceville brain injury lawyer has over 18 years of experience handling personal injury cases. Since opening our law firm in 2012, we’ve recovered millions of dollars in jury verdicts and settlements. We will give your case the time and resources it deserves.
How Our Lawrenceville Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help With a Brain Injury Case in Georgia
A brain injury can result in cognitive, physical, and emotional changes, which may be temporary or long-lasting. With extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation, a person may recover fully from a brain injury, but that is not always the case.
If another party caused your brain damage, you could receive compensation for your losses. However, you might have to fight for a fair settlement. Therefore, you want a lawyer with a proven track record of winning cases at the negotiating table and in the courtroom.
Our Georgia personal injury lawyer was named a Super Lawyer in 2022 and 2023. The National Black Lawyers included Attorney Yari Lawson on the Top 100 list of trial lawyers, and he is also on the Top 100 list by The National Trial Lawyers.
When you hire our top-rated brain injury lawyer in Lawrenceville, GA, we’ll handle all matters related to your case, including:
- Investigating the cause of your brain injury to identify the responsible parties
- Gathering evidence proving liability
- Working with leading medical specialists and other expert witnesses, as necessary
- Carefully documenting your damages to determine how much your brain injury case is worth
- Filing insurance claims and dealing with the insurance company for you
- Negotiating a settlement amount that compensates you fairly for your damages
- Filing a lawsuit and arguing your case at trial if the responsible parties refuse to negotiate in good faith
Our legal team at Lawson Personal Injury Attorneys is driven to protect your rights and best interests. We are dedicated and will put your needs as our top priority.
Call today for a free case evaluation with an experienced brain injury attorney in Lawrenceville, Georgia.
What Types of Brain Injury Cases Do We Handle at Lawson Personal Injury Attorneys?
A person can sustain a brain injury due to many different situations.
We have extensive experience handling all types of brain injury claims, including those involving:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including cars, trucks, motorcycles, pedestrians, bicycles, scooters, rideshare vehicles, etc.
- Premises liability claims, including slip and fall accidents, swimming pool accidents, and electrocutions
- Medical malpractice and negligence claims
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Boating and water sports accidents
- Amusement park, resort, and hotel accidents
- Workplace accidents and on-the-job injuries
- Assaults and other criminal acts
If you sustain a head injury, seek immediate medical treatment. Some TBIs have delayed symptoms. Therefore, you might not experience brain injury symptoms immediately following an accident.
Seeking treatment from your doctor as soon as possible after your injury creates a medical record. If symptoms worsen or you develop new symptoms, your doctor can diagnose your condition and relate it to the symptoms you were experiencing immediately after the accident.
Common Types of Brain Injuries That May Lead to a Personal Injury Case
Blunt force trauma or a strong jolt to the body can cause a brain injury – referred to as a closed head injury. If the brain moves around within the skull, it can sustain damage to multiple areas where it strikes the skull.
However, a penetrating head injury can also result in severe brain trauma. These injuries are due to an object fracturing the skull and entering the brain tissue. Both types of brain injuries can result in mild to severe damage.
Our Lawrenceville personal injury attorney can help victims who have sustained all types of brain injuries, including but not limited to:
- Intracerebral hemorrhage
- Concussions (mild TBI)
- Hypoxia (lack of oxygen)
- Diffuse axonal injury
- Intraventricular hemorrhage
- Edema (swelling of the brain)
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Coup-contrecoup injuries
The brain is the most complex organ in our body. Therefore, brain injuries can be challenging to diagnose and treat. Additionally, a prognosis for a brain injury can include short-term and long-term effects.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of a Brain Injury to Watch for After an Accident?
Symptoms vary greatly depending on the type of injury you sustain, the severity of the brain injury, and other factors. They may include behavioral, sensation, cognitive, and perceptual changes.
Examples of brain injury symptoms include, but are not limited to:
- Headaches that could worsen
- Blurred or double vision
- Loss of consciousness
- Vomiting and nausea
- Seizures or convulsions
- Decreased level of consciousness
- Problems focusing, concentrating, or making decisions
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Irritability, confusion, and/or mood changes
- Hearing problems, including ringing in the ears
- Dizziness, problems with balance, and/or vertigo
- Sensitivity to sound or light
It is important to know the symptoms of a brain injury in children. They can include the ones listed above, but they can also include changes in nursing/eating habits, lack of interest in toys/activities, loss of skills, and persisting crying.
Complications from a brain injury could also produce additional symptoms. Prompt medical treatment improves your chance of recovery. Doctors know what symptoms to look for during an examination to identify the different types of brain injury.
Damages Available in a Brain Injury Case in Lawrenceville, Georgia
Economic damages in a brain injury case represent your financial losses.
These damages include:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages and benefits
- Rehabilitative therapies
- Diminished earning capacity
- Household services and personal care
- Nursing care
A brain injury causes more than monetary losses. A brain injury victim may also experience pain and suffering.
The non-economic damages in a brain injury case include:
- Mental anguish
- Physical discomfort
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Impairments and disabilities
- Decrease in quality of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
Many factors determine how much a brain injury case is worth. Some factors might increase the value of your damages. However, other factors could reduce the amount of money you receive in a settlement or jury verdict.
Factors that could impact how much you receive for a brain injury claim include:
- The severity of the brain injury
- How the brain injury impacts your daily life
- Whether you can work or perform other activities
- The duration of your recovery
- The degree of impairment or disability
- Whether you are partially to blame for causing the injury
- The availability and amount of insurance coverage
- The parties involved in the case
Victims who sustain long-term impairments from a TBI can receive future damages. Our Lawrenceville personal injury lawyer will work with expert witnesses to determine what your brain injury will cost in the future. We can also help determine the extent to which the brain injury impacts your daily life.
Comparative Fault and Brain Injury Claims in Lawrenceville, GA
Georgia uses a modified comparative negligence standard to determine damages when the victim contributes to the cause of their injury. If you are 50% or more to blame for causing your brain injury, the other party is not legally liable for your damages. In other words, you will not receive any money for your claim.
However, you could receive some of your damages if you are less than 50% at fault. The amount you receive depends on your liability.
For instance, suppose a jury determines you are 20% to blame for a car crash that resulted in your brain injury. They award you $500,000 for damages. The court would reduce the award by 20% or $100,000.
Brain injury cases can total millions of dollars, especially if the victim sustains a permanent impairment. The insurance company will likely work to reduce the amount it must pay for your claim. Therefore, the insurance adjuster may try to get you to say something that implies you are partly to blame for your injury.
We advise that you allow your attorney to handle all communications with the insurance company and other parties.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Brain Injury Lawsuits in Georgia?
The deadline (statute of limitations) for brain injury cases depends on the type of claim, the parties involved in the case, and other factors. Georgia imposes a two-year statute of limitations for many personal injury claims. However, there are exceptions.
The court can dismiss a personal injury lawsuit filed after the statute of limitations expires. The judge is not required to consider whether you have a legal claim or could receive damages. They can dismiss the lawsuit for missing the deadline.
Therefore, we strongly urge you to seek legal advice as soon as possible after an accident or personal injury. Waiting too long to speak with an attorney could result in losing the right to pursue your brain injury claim in court.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Experienced Lawrenceville Brain Injury Lawyer
If you or a family member sustained a brain injury, let Lawson Personal Injury Attorneys help you get the justice you deserve. Contact our law firm to request a free case review with our Lawrenceville brain injury attorney. Understanding your legal options is the first step in recovering compensation.
Highly Rated Brain Injury Specialists in Lawrenceville
- Matthew Hazzard, MD – 631 Professional Dr # 360, Lawrenceville, GA 30046
- Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists – 1400 Hembree Rd Suite 130, Roswell, GA 30076
- Summit Spine and Joint Centers – 455 Philip Blvd Bldg 100 Suite 140, Lawrenceville, GA 30046
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.